Parathas can be made plain or stuffed with many different fillings. This recipe uses the most popular filling - Potatoes. Aloo Parathas are perfect for a weekend breakfast.
• 1 cup whole-wheat flour
• 1/2 cup water (Use more as needed)
• Pinch of salt
• 2 medium potatoes
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (Jeera)
• 1 chopped green chili
• chopped coriander
• 1/2 teaspoon garam masala (optional)
• 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour for rolling
• Oil to cook
• Mix flour, salt and water together to make soft dough.
• Let the dough rest for at least ten minutes.
• Boil 2 medium potatoes in water. After the water comes to a boil, reduce the heat to medium. Let the potatoes cook until they are tender.
• After the potatoes are cold enough to handle, peel and mash the potatoes.
• Mix green chilies, coriander, cumin seeds and salt to the mashed potatoes.
• Divide the dough and potato mixture into 6 equal parts. The potato balls should be about 1 1/2 times larger than the dough balls.
• Roll the dough into 3 inch diameter circles. Place the potato balls in the center. Seal by pulling the edges of the rolled dough together.
• Heat the Tava on medium high.
• To make it easier to roll the balls, first roll them in dry whole-wheat flour.
• Lightly press the ball on the sealed side and keep it on the topside when rolling. Roll the ball light handed in to 6-inch circles. Whenever the dough sticks to the rolling pin or rolling surface, lightly sprinkle dry whole-wheat flour on both sides of the semi-rolled paratha.
• Place the paratha over the tava. After a few seconds you will see the paratha change color and puff in different places.
• Then flip the paratha over. You should see some golden-brown spots on the topside. After a few seconds, spread 1 teaspoon of oil on the paratha. Again, flip the paratha and lightly press the puffed areas with a spatula.
• Flip again and press with the spatula making sure the paratha is golden-brown on both sides.
• Cool the parathas on a wire rack so they don’t get soggy.
Parathas can be served with tomato chutney,butter, plain yogurt or any gravy subji.